What is the Student Enterprise Programme?
The Student Enterprise Programme, an initiative run by the Network of Local Enterprise Offices, is Ireland’s largest and most successful student enterprise programme with over 26,000 second level students taking part each year.
Students from 1st year to 6th year get to set up and run their own business and find out what it’s really like to be an entrepreneur by taking part in this 8 month long enterprise education learning programme.
The Programme runs from September to May, and students get to do everything a real life entrepreneur would do from coming up with the business idea to marketing, sales and preparing a business plan/business poster.
At the end of the Programme in May, one student business from each region gets to compete at the National Final for the ‘Student Enterprise of the Year’ award.
- Junior Category: 1st year students
- Intermediate Category: 2nd and 3rd year students
- Senior Category: Transition Year, 4th year, 5th year, 6th year, LCA, LCVP and Youth Reach students*.
*Each student must be no older than 18 years old on the day of the National Final.
What are the benefits of the Student Enterprise Programme?
- Enhances creativity
- Improves communication skills
- Provides practical uses for business studies topics
- Encourages students to consider self-employment as a career choice
- Equips students with the skills to set up and run their own business
- Combines classroom learning with real life experiences
- Opportunity to meet and learn from entrepreneurs in the local community
- Excellent PR opportunities for schools
- Excellent support tools for teachers, students and schools
- On-going support from local Schools Co-ordinator
Your own designated Schools Enterprise Co-ordinator
Each County/City has their own designated Schools Enterprise Co-ordinator. Your Co-ordinator will work closely with your school to register your students for the Programme and visit you regularly during the year to help students with running their mini-companies, offering advice, support and resources.
For details of your Local Schools Co-ordinator and to find out more about the Student Enterprise Programme, contact our National Co-ordinator.